There are a few St. John’s Point Lighthouses to be found in Ulster, but none match the beauty that the Donegal one possesses. The lighthouse is used as a harbour light to guide from Donegal Bay and is used to also mark the north side of the bay leading to Killybegs harbour from the entrance to Rotten Island.

Along with this magnificent structure you will find everything from standing stones to an old abbey in the vicinity. The coastline of Sligo and Mayo lies to the south of St John’s Point.

st Johns Point Lighthouse Donegal

Image: Louise Price [CC BY-SA 2.0], via Wikimedia Commons

On the coastline you will find the island of Inishmurray which is rich in archaeological remains and Streedagh Point which played a pivotal part in the Spanish Armada.

To the west you can find the beautiful sea cliffs of Sliabh League and to the east you can see past Doorin Point towards Donegal town.

[su_spacer]

History of the Lighthouse

The history of the lighthouse dates back to the early 1800s. The Corporation for Preserving and Improving the Port of Dublin (also known as the Ballast Board) received a memorial on 24th February 1825. It had been signed by merchants and traders from what was then and still is the largest fishing port in County Donegal – Killybegs.

Their requested was that a light was affixed to St John’s Point. The move was held up by red tape and only got given the go ahead in April 1829, with Trinity House providing the statutory seal of approval needed one month later.

The tower itself is built from cut granite and was designed by the Board’s Inspector of Works and Lighthouses – George Halpin – and it was under his supervision that the board’s workmen erected St John’s Point Lighthouse.

The tower, painted in a classic white, had a first order catoptric fixed light which stood 98 feet above high water with a clear weather visibility of 14 miles. The light was first exhibited before the completion of the lighthouse on the 4th November 1831. The lighthouse wasn’t completed until the tail end of 1833 and the finished result came to a total of £10,507.

Although at the time that was a considerable outlay for any structure it proved to be a wise investment with the original structure still standing firm and only minor improvements needed since to modernise the landmark.

The lighthouse moved to an automatic unwatched operation on 30th November 1932 while it converted to electric using ESB utility mains with a diesel generator on standby on the 24th September 1962.
Killybegs harbour remains the largest fishing port in Donegal with large Irish and International trawlers coming and going daily.

Castle Murray House Restaurant Donegal

Castle Murray House Restaurant Donegal - Castle Murray House is undoubtedly one of the best restaurants in Co Donegal. From its elevated site this award winning restaurant enjoys panoramic views...
Read More

The Atlantic Drive

The Atlantic Drive is a spectacular road around the Rosguill Peninsula in North Donegal. The Rosguill Peninsula is a classic example of the rugged Donegal coastline and is situated between Fanad...
Read More

Glenevin Waterfall Inishowen

The spectacular Glenevin Waterfall is located 2km north west of Clonmany village on the Inishowen Peninsula, Co Donegal

Read More

Mamore Gap Inishowen

Mamore Gap Inishowen – an area of outstanding beauty and is one of the most scenic parts of Donegal. It can be found on the western fringes of the Inishowen Peninsula in the North of the county.

Read More

Lurgybrack Open Farm

Lurgybrack Open Farm is a special place where all the family can spend the day together watching the animals and having fun. The centuries old farm building is home to a range of friendly farm...
Read More

Doagh Island Famine Village

Doagh Island Famine Village - In brief, the Famine Village is an outdoor museum that tells the story of life in the area from the Famine back in the 1840s, through the 1900s to the present day....
Read More

Swimming Pools in Donegal

  Swimming Pools in Donegal - Buncrana Leisure Centre opened in 1989 and provides a host of leisure facilities for locals and visitors alike. The centre includes a 25 x 10 metre swimming pool...
Read More

The Letterkenny Craft and Design Studio

The Letterkenny Craft and Design Studio was officially opened in October 2012 and its aim is to promote the best arts, crafts and produce that Donegal and Ireland has to offer. The craftspeople and...
Read More

Donegal Garden Trail

Donegal Garden Trail - The Donegal Garden Trail is a voluntary initiative that seeks to promote garden visiting in the county and helps to raise funds for charity.The Garden Trail now has...
Read More

Eany Water Fishery Inver

Eany Water Fishery Inver - located at Inver/Frosses area in South West County Donegal. The Eany is a spate river system and is part of a 125 km square catchment area comprising the Eany River, the...
Read More
Share
Tweet
+1
Pin