The Crana River and Fullerton reservoir is controlled by the Buncrana Angling Association . The fishery is managed from a purpose built angling centre where permits, licences and fishing tackle can be purchased and where boats and rods can be hired. Visiting anglers are urged to read the full list of rules governing the fishery before starting to fish.
From its origins in Slieve Snaght and the Eskaheen Mountains, the river Crana flows for 12km before entering Lough Swilly just north of Buncrana – Buncrana actually translates from Irish as “foot of the (river) Crana”. The river offers good salmon fishing for a relatively small spate system.
The Crana tends to fish late with good runs of grilse and sea trout during the month of July. 10 visitor rods are available. The biggest salmon in recent years was a 22lb salmon and fish up to 16lb are usually caught each Season.
The Flying ‘C’ has now overtaken the copper and silver spoon and the Devon as the preferred spinning lure whilst fly fishers use almost any Shrimp fly. Sea trout are best taken in the lower reaches and at night on small flies (size 10-12) using a Black Pennell, Connemara Black, Watson’s Fancy or a Bibbio. Spinning is prohibited during low water, as is fishing with a “Bubble and Fly”; Spinning is prohibited at all times on the Willow Pool.
The Fullerton Reservoir
Fullerton reservoir covers some 400 acres and has a large population of both wild and stocked brown trout. The reservoir is fly-fishing only (no bait fishing), with a two trout bag limit and no shore fishing is permitted. 11 boats are available for hire (max. 3 rods per boat). A 15lb trout has been recorded for this fishery but the best in recent years was 9lb. trout taken by local angler Daniel Lynch on a size 12 hawthorn fly. Salmon now tend to run into the reservoir towards the end of the season.
- The salmon season runs from 1st March to 30th September inclusive.
- The sea trout season runs from 1st March to 12th October inclusive.
Permits and Licences
- The Crana River can be fished on a Day Permit (dawn to dusk).
- There is also a 7 day permit.
- Fullerton Reservoir permits include a boat with electric engine, oars & lifejacket.
- The reservoir can be booked for the day session (9.30am to 4.30pm) or evening session (5.30pm to dusk).
- The fishery is Fly only (No bait fishing) and there is a bag limit of 2 trout.
Permits and licences are available from:
- Buncrana Anglers Association, Angling Centre, Castle Lane, Buncrana, Co. Donegal.
- Tel: 074-9363733 Mobiles 086 3091996 & 086 1563861
- (Office hours 10am – 6pm, 7 days a week- peak season).
Location Map for the Crana River and Fullerton Reservoir