Glencolmcille Folk Village
The Glencolmcille Folk Village is a reconstruction of the historic homes and dwellings of the Glencolmcille area in South West Donegal. In particular the buildings in this village are replicas of dwellings used by the local people in each of the three successive centuries – 18th, 19th and 20th.
phone: +353 74 973 0017
facebook: Glen Folk Village
The village itself is a group of small cottages, called a “clachan,” huddled together on a hillside with views overlooking beautiful Glenbay beach towards the dramatic Glen Head. The cottages are neatly white-washed, each with a traditional half-door, designed to keep the animals out and the people in. The half door also allowed fresh air and daylight to enter as well as providing a suitable armrest whilst contemplating or chatting to passersby’s.
The roof of each cottage has the distinctive rounded Donegal style thatch, tied down securely with rope and pegs to protect the thatching from the fierce westerly winds off the Atlantic Ocean. In 2011 two new exhibition houses were added to the village – a traditional thatched shop/pub with a shoemakers in the lower room, and a fisherman’s cottage dedicated to the history of local fishermen and the sea.
The folk village has a tea house which provides a variety of home made foods.
There is also a craft shop which is ideal when shopping for those special gifts to bring back home. The shop stocks a large selection of Irish made products with a particular emphasis on local arts and crafts.
Teach Tra Ban
Teach Ban is a spacious 4 bedroom holiday home blessed with a wonderfully scenic location on the spectacular Slieve League Peninsula in South West Donegal
Silver Beach Cottage
Silver Beach Cottage is a 3 bedroom holiday home with a lovely coastal setting along the ruggedly beautiful coastline between Glencolmcille and the dramatic sea cliffs of Slieve League
History of Glencolmcille Folk Village
Established in 1967, the folk village museum was the brainchild of Fr. James McDyer, who moved to Glencolmcille in 1951. On his arrival, Fr. McDyer recognized the lack of proper services in the area and set about promoting industry and providing better facilities within the parish. The Folk Museum was central to Fr. McDyer’s plan in maintaining the traditional culture of the Glencolmcille area.
Bunratty Folk Park was probably the inspiration for Fr McDyer’s project. Local people in the Glencolmcille area gave their time voluntarily, constructing thatched houses representing eras from 1750 onwards. Families gave artefacts like settle beds, straw candle-holders, turf-spades, shoemaker’s implements and fishing equipment. The end result is a museum that offers a glimpse of daily life in Glencolmcille over the past few centuries.
The folk village is open from Easter Saturday until the end of September.
Monday- Saturday: 10 am – 6 pm
Sunday: 12 noon – 6 pm