Donegal Castle is situated on the banks of the River Eske in Donegal Town. The castle was built in 1505 by the O’Donnell clan who were the ruling Gaelic Chieftains in County Donegal up until the time of the Flight of the Earls in 1607.
t: +353 74 972 2405
The Castle has extensive 17th century additions by Sir Basil Brooke. He transformed the rectangular tower by adding gables and windows. He also made the first floor into a banqueting hall complete with a Jacobean fireplace bearing his coat of arms. Beside the Tower Sir Basil added a southern facing manor house and strengthened the bawn-wall surrounding the Castle.
A brief look inside Donegal Castle
In recent years the castle has undergone a major renovation programme. Today it is furnished throughout and includes Persian rugs and French tapestries. Information panels outline the history of the Castle owners from the O’Donnell chieftains to the Brooke family.
Easter – Mid September: Daily, 10:00 – 18:00.
Mid September – Early April: Thurs – Mon incl 09.30 – 16.30.
Last Admission: 45 mins. before closing
Average Length of Visit: 45 mins. – 1 hour
Guided Tours: Available every hour.
Max. No: 35
Duration: 30 mins
There is limited access for people with disabilities to the ground floor. A Leaflet/Guide Booklet is available in English, Irish, French, German, Italian and Spanish.
Location Map for Donegal Castle
Google Street View for Donegal Castle
- Holiday Homes in Donegal Town
- Holiday Homes in Mountcharles
- Holiday Homes in Inver
- Holiday homes in Rossnowlagh