River Lennon Fishery Donegal – River Leannan (Lennon) Fishery includes Lough Gartan and Lough Fern. The Leannan is a 45km long river, flowing from the Glendowan Mountains to Lough Swilly at Ramelton. It was noted for its productivity of spring fish until the unfortunate outbreak of UDN in 1976. Since then the salmon population has slowly recovered and is approaching pre-1976 levels.
The Leannan is one of the few fisheries in the county that opens on the 1st January.It fishes well in springtime with salmon weighing approximately 9lbs on average. The largest recorded salmon was 33lb.
The river has a good run of grilse around June which head straight for Lough Gartan when a good flood lets them over the weir at Ramelton. A Devon of almost any pattern produces good results whilst good flies are the Willie Gunn tube or Waddington early in the season, Badger, Hairy Mary and any of the Shrimp flies. Sea Trout are only found in the lower reaches, where they run as far as Watt’s Pool.
Watt’s Pool – River Lennon Fishery Donegal
The section of the River Lennon downstream of the Drummonahan Bridge (Watt’s Pool) is privately owned. Permits are available. This is the renowned Ramelton Fishery Company section. The east bank is heavily wooded while the west (or left) bank is generally open grassland with a fishing hut situated halfway down the pool. The Pool is a two-rod fly only beat (although the fishery will allow 4 anglers to share the 2 rods).
Lough Fern – River Lennon Fishery Donegal
Lough Fern was noted for its spring salmon until affected by the UDN outbreak. It is still a very productive trout fishery with brownies around 1lb and 2lb fairly common. The western shore is the preferred area for bank fishing but the lough is best fished from a boat. Recommended flies are the Connemara Black, Black Pennell, Bibbio and any Sedge pattern. Salmon have been making a comeback in Lough Fern in recent times and are once again taken on the fly.
Lough Gartan – River Lennon Fishery Donegal
Lough Gartan produces occasional salmon and has a resident population of small brown trout averaging between ¼ and ½ lbs.
- The salmon and sea trout season runs from January 1st to September 30th inclusive.
- The brown trout season runs from February 15th to September 30th inclusive.
- There are no permit requirements at present for the Lennon upstream of the Ramelton Fishery Company stretch.
- Permits for the Watt’s Pool Fishery: Contact Milo DeBuitlear on 086 1088397 for bookings and information.
Salmon licences are available from:
- Edward McFadden, Anglers Haven, Kilmacrennan. Tel: (074) 9139015 or from
- The Northern Regional Fisheries Board.
Boat Hire-Lough Fern.
- Contact Kenneth Bradley, Fern Grove, Milford, Co. Donegal. Tel: (074) 9153866. / Mobile 086 8384882.
Location Map for River Lennon Fishery Donegal
Holiday Homes in the area
- Holiday Homes in Ramelton, Donegal, Ireland
- Holiday Homes in Milford, Donegal, Ireland
- Holiday Homes in Kilmacrennan, Donegal, Ireland
- Holiday Homes in Churchill, Donegal, Ireland
- Holiday Homes in Letterkenny, Donegal, Ireland